TUCSON, Ariz. — Casino Del Sol plans to reopen June 3, but only after implementing new safety measures. That includes rearranging the gaming floor.
KGUN 9 has a first look at what the gaming experience will be like starting next Wednesday.
Gamblers will first encounter a thermal camera checking their temperature as they enter the casino. It is the first step in a health check for all guests and employees.
"As you walk through you're going to see signs that asks if you have the following symptoms," said Director of Loyalty Marketing, Jessica Savare.
You would then be asked to comeback another time according to Savare.
Casino Del Sol will require everyone to wear face masks, employees and guests, throughout the casino and hotels.
Once you reach the gaming floor, you will see significant changes to maintain social distancing.
"As you walk through, some of our slot machines are going to have plexiglass partitions," said Savare. "For the ones that we couldn't move. Our gaming floor looks a little different. It's a little thinner."
Thinner, because the Pascua Yaqui Tribe and Casino Del Sol decided to move about 200 slot machines, creating a new gaming space in the conference center.
"To allow for additional gaming space, but also space for all of our guests to have room to play."
Some of the biggest changes come at the gaming tables.
Both blackjack and poker tables now have plexiglass barriers to avoid face-to-face contact with dealers.
The dealers and players will wear gloves, if the game allows players to touch cards.
"Every two hours we're going to take a break at the table games," added Savare. "We're going to give a five minute break while we wipe down the area."
Casino Del Sol is also asking those playing slot machines to let a team member known when they're done with the machine, so it can be sanitized.
The casino has also designated two bar areas as smoking areas, eliminating smoking on the casino floor.
While Savare wants customers to know that they will feel secure with all of these changes, the casino understands some may not be ready to return.
"They can take their time to comeback, if they really aren't comfortable yet. We're going to be here. We'll be waiting for them with open arms."
Here are some of Casino Del Sol's changes:
- Cleaning: We have expanded and enhanced sanitization and cleaning practices to meet or exceed recommendations made by health experts. Each property will be continually sanitized each day with a hospital-grade disinfectant listed by the EPA as effective against COVID-19. In addition, overnight deep cleaning and sanitizing will continue.
- Personal Protective Equipment: All guests and employees will be required to wear masks while on the properties. Employees in positions involving cleaning and food preparation will be required to wear gloves as well. Employees will be provided with masks and gloves. Masks will be available for guests to purchase.
- Smoking: Smoking will only be allowed in designated smoking areas.
- Temperature Screening: Thermal scan software and cameras have been installed at guest and team member entrances to monitor the temperature of each person entering the building.
- Social Distancing: Guests and team members are required to observe social distancing and stay at least six feet away from others when standing in lines, using elevators and otherwise moving about the properties. There will be signage and floor guides that encourage social distancing. Chairs have been removed at restaurants, slots machines, table games, bingo and other areas on property.
- Plexiglass Barriers: Plexiglass barriers have been installed in areas where guests are face-to-face with employees such as hotel front desks, food and beverage cashier and host stands, cages, Club Sol, table games, poker and Sewailo Golf Club.
- Fresh Air: Casino Del Sol’s existing HVAC system has a maximized fresh-air intake such that the entire property’s air is replaced with outside air approximately every 45 minutes.
- Hand Sanitizer: Additional hand sanitizer stations have been added for guests and staff to access throughout the properties.
- Slot Machines: Many machines have been moved or turned off and chairs have been removed to ensure social distancing. Several machines have also been relocated to the Conference Center and are spaced apart. There will be a team of employees dedicated to cleaning and sanitizing slot machines and chairs throughout the day and each time a guest leaves a machine.
- Table Games: Dealers and players will be required to wear a mask for all games and gloves for games that permit the player to handle the cards. There will be a maximum of two to three players per table. The card shoe, toke boxes, paddles and discard rack will be sanitized each time a dealer enters a game. Cards on the carnival games will be changed every two hours and discarded at the end of each day. Blackjack cards will be discarded at the end of each day.
- Poker: There will be a maximum of four players at each table. Poker cards on live games will be changed and cleaned every two hours.
- Bingo: Seating has been removed to allow no more than three guests per table. Tables and surfaces will be sanitized at the end of each session and each time a guest leaves the area.
- Restaurants: Restaurants will have distanced seating and limited occupancy. For restaurants with table service, plate covers will be utilized when delivering meals from the kitchen to the guests’ table.
- Hotels: We will continue to utilize hospital-grade disinfectant in public areas, elevators and guest rooms. Non-essential, decorative fabric items such as throws and throw pillows have been removed from the guest rooms. Hotel elevators will be limited to two guests per cab unless the guests are members of the same household.
- Fitness Centers: At Estrella, the workout room will be limited to one guest at a time. At Casino Del Sol, the workout room will be limited to two guests at a time, with social distancing. Hotel staff will disinfect the machines in the workout rooms every two hours.
- Property amenities that will not reopen temporarily: Festa International Buffet, Wildcat Grille at Sewailo Golf Club, Paradiso Lounge, Tropico Lounge, Zebo’z, Hiapsi Spa, the arcade at Estrella, valet parking and the hotel pools.