KGUN 9 On Your SideNews


Who was the man who had 3 gunfights with police?

Posted at 4:56 PM, Jul 29, 2016
and last updated 2016-07-29 20:11:52-04

TUCSON (KGUN9-TV) - The more we learn about Thursday’s multi stop crime wave, carjacking and shooting by police, the wilder it gets.

We now know the man Tucson Police shot and killed was 31-year-old Jesus Rael.

He spent nine years in Arizona Prisons on charges ranging from car theft, aggravated assault and weapons charges.

Police say yesterday he shot at officers, stole two police cars, stole a civilian's car and ran him over.

Jesus Rael had police on his tail when he tried to turn onto 8th Street from Campbell..  He lost control.  At the corner you can see where his stolen car broke the curb.  Police say he jumped out, and started firing a shotgun.

Tucson Police say after they traded shots with Rael, he tried to steal one of their cruisers.  

Other patrol cars arrived, crashed into the stolen police car and blocked his escape.

During the arrest officers noticed Rael was wounded.  They gave him first aid but he died at the hospital.

What ended at Campbell and 8th, started at a bank in Marana on Wednesday. Marana Police were looking for Rael as a suspect in a bank robbery.

Thursday they found him on Mission near Ajo.  Police say he shot at them.  They shot at him, and he drove into one of their cars.

Marana officers chased Rael to I-19 and Ajo where he wrecked his car. There was more gunfire.  As officers took cover, Rael dove into a Marana Patrol car and took off.

Then he hit a parking lot on Valencia near Midvale and carjacked a new car from a man headed to his doctor's office.

We talked with the son of the man who was carjacked in this parking lot.  He says his father thought when a marked police cruiser turned up behind his car he was dealing with a traffic stop.  The son says, his Dad has muscular dystrophy.  He can drive but needs a wheelchair otherwise.  The man's wife went to get that chair but by that time, the suspect had pulled the driver out of the car, jumped behind the wheel and took off, and in the process ran over the man's legs."

That's the car that brought Jesus Rael to Campbell and 8th and his third gunfight with police---the one that finally stopped him dead.

Rael did not hurt any police officers.

The civilian he ran over was originally described as having injuries that were not life threatening.  Now his family says some complications sent him to intensive care.