KGUN 9 On Your SideNewsLocal News

Actions

Sabino girl's basketball to forfeit wins because of ineligible player

Posted at 4:26 PM, Jan 29, 2019
and last updated 2019-01-29 19:38:44-05

TUCSON, Ariz. -- The Sabino High School girl's basketball team must now forfeit some of their wins because of an ineligible player.

The Arizona Interscholastic Association was notified of possible improper contact and recruiting violations, earlier in January.

Tucson Unified School District athletic director, Herman House, told KGUN 9 the investigation involved three players.

When the A.I.A. first learned about the possible violation, House said he was confident that the school acted in accordance with A.I.A. bylaws.

In a statement released today the A.I.A. said;

"After TUSD had concluded its investigation, new evidence regarding prior contact was discovered by the Sabino administration and shared with TUSD and the Arizona Interscholastic Association. The penalty in this situation is forfeiture of the games played with the ineligible player."

According to the A.I.A., the team remains eligible for postseason play, because they played at least the minimum number of games needed to qualify for the state tournament.

Sabino girls basketball won enough of those games, even after the forfeiture, to maintain their number one seed status in the tournament.

This story follows KGUN 9's investigation into the Sabino baseball scandal that centered on recruiting violations, misuse of funds, and bullying.