KGUN 9 On Your SideNewsLocal & Regional News


Family of woman killed near east side McDonald's reacts to misdemeanor charge against driver

Posted at 8:08 PM, Apr 16, 2019
and last updated 2019-04-17 01:11:42-04

TUCSON, Ariz. — The Tucson City Attorney has filed charges against the driver involved in a deadly crash that happened in March 2018.
Douglas Angiolini has spent the year since his wife's death searching for answers.
On March 3, 2018 -- Barbara Angiolini was on the sidewalk at Tanque Verde and Kolb, right in front of the McDonald's, waiting to cross the street. That's when the driver of a car turning left at the intersection lost control and hit Barbara.
She died at the scene.
"She died walking the dog she loved," Douglas Angiolini said. "She wanted that to be her dog, and nobody else's, cause we had four."
By the year anniversary, the family expected charges to be filed against the driver. But that wasn't the case.
It wasn't until March 22 when charges were filed in Tucson City Court.
The Pima County Attorney's Office reviewed the case with the Tucson Police Department and decided not to charge the driver with a felony.
"I mean, you lose a wife of 23 years and a mother and everything like that," Angiolini said. "It just doesn't seem right."
The driver was charged with one misdemeanor -- accident involving death. He's also facing two traffic violations for running a red light and speeding.
Angiolini says the family was shocked.
"It really doesn't help a family get any kind of closure or justification for that," Angiolini said. "You see people running red lights all over town, and this is just another consequence of that."
Barbara's daughter Isabella says she believes no one is being held responsible for her mother's death.
"It's frustrating and it's sad," she said. "It makes the healing process that much more difficult. I hurt for myself, but I hurt more for my mom. I want that for her."
The Angiolini's say they won't stop fighting for justice, something they say, Barbara would have wanted for herself.
The City Attorney's Office says there is no further comment on the pending criminal case.