Authorities are investigating social media reports of a woman killing a Gila monster.
The Arizona Game and Fish Department confirmed that Sarah Crabtree is under investigation connected to a Facebook post in which she appears to have beheaded a Gila monster with a screwdriver.
Crabtree was issued tickets on five counts:
- Possession of restricted wildlife.
- Taking of wildlife without a license.
- Possession and transportation of unlawfully taken wildlife.
- Taking of wildlife during closed season.
- Taking of wildlife by unlawful method.
Crabtree, a 26-year-old who lives in Three Points, issued this statment to KGUN9 via the phone.
"I didn't do it just to do it for fun. I did it to protect myself and my family. I saw it when I pulled up to my house. I didn't know what to do, so I panicked. I went out there and killed it. It was on my property and I freaked out. I have dogs -- small puppies -- and an infant child, and I'm fighting to get my two other kids back. I have already had enough death threats.