TUCSON, Ariz. — They're on the move this time of year. hundreds, maybe thousands at a time. With the month of May a week a way, it's close to being the season of bee swarms in the desert.
After a tremendous amount of rainfall this winter Truly Nolen pest expert Brian Harper says the bees are competing for food sources and have been acting hyper active. If a hive is found near your home, Harper recommends you call professionals to handle the disposal of the insects.
"We will see what equipment might be necessary in order to properly remove the hive," Harper said, "Hives that are moving in to peoples structures, homes and environment are directly a danger to all of us."
To avoid being stung experts recommend to run not walk when you hear buzzing and to refrain from swatting at the pesky insects. However if you are stung multiple times or are allergic to bees, Rural Metro Battalion Fire Chief John Walka says it's crucial to seek medical attention immediately.
"You should have a epinephrine pen with you at all times and anaphylaxis reaction is a fatal reaction." Walka said. "What happens is your throat starts to swell up you, get hives all over and eventually you're going to stop breathing."
But what if you're furry four legged friend finds the insect on his own, Tucson vets say if your dog is stung or eats a bee, you should call your primary care veterinarian.
"Benadryl or Diphenhydramine can be used for swelling or itching, but the dose depends on the dog, so it's best to consult your own veterinarian," said Dr, Glen Grady, Emegency specialist with the Southern Arizona Veterinary Specialty and Emgency Center.