TUCSON (KGUN9-TV) - People with service dogs know they can be lifesavers.
A dog truly did save a life Monday night.
Chase only wanted to share his first name. We asked him why his dog is named Halo.
He choked up as he said, “The breeder had given her that name. Which was very suitable. She's my angel. She always has been...I'm sorry."
For ten years Halo has kept Chase safe---especially Monday night.
"The next thing I know she's chawing on my arm and dragging me off the bed, alerting me there was something dangerous going on."
A dangerous, fast moving fire was burning his house. Kids nearby were playing with sparklers and they accidentally touched off the blaze.
The damage shows how bad things could have been if Halo hadn't used her courage---and her teeth to help both of them make a safe escape.
Halo's had service dog training. Before Chase got hurt years ago, she was going to be his K-9 partner while he worked as a sheriff's deputy in Georgia but Chase says Halo is so driven to protect him, she would have saved his life with no training at all.
"She was always with me. She's saved by butt a few times when I've fallen or I've had seizures, when I had my head injury and she wasn't even formally trained."
So how do you say thanks to the dog who saved your life?
"She got a steak dinner down at Denny's. So she got her steak and eggs..."