Firefighters put out a blaze downtown Tuesday morning. It happened at the Downtown Community School, which is a daycare and preschool for nearly two dozen children.
According to Tucson Fire Capt. Barrett Baker, no one was injured in the blaze, which started at 4:30 a.m. in the 600 block of South Meyer Ave. in a home being used as a school.
An electrical malfunction involving wiring in the attic caused the fire.
The school is closing down for the rest of its summer session, but the founder and director Emily McCrea said she hopes to open back up for the fall semester.
McCrea said the entire building has extensive smoke damage. The roof is collapsed over much of the school, and one of the classrooms is completely destroyed.