KGUN 9 On Your SideNews

Actions

Apartment fire displaces one; cooking oil to blame

Posted at 4:45 PM, Sep 15, 2016
and last updated 2016-09-15 19:45:09-04

A fire damaged an apartment in the 4800 block of East Pima Street after cooking oil flashed while warming up starting the cabinets on fire in the kitchen area, according to a news release from Tucson Fire. 

Capt. Barrett Baker of TFD says the resident was warming up oil when she went to the bedroom to lie down. 

The resident was awakened to an apartment charred with smoke but was able to make it outside.

Neighbors called 911. Once they were able to determine where the smoke was coming from the neighbors entered the apartment with 3 fire extinguishers and put of the blaze. 

Fire crews arrived on scene and were able to pull down the drywall next to the stove and confirm the fire was completely extinguished. 

One person was assessed on scene for mild smoke inhalation but didn't require additional medical treatment.