KGUN 9 On Your SideNews

Actions

Sugar substitute Xylitol could be deadly to your dog

Posted at 9:11 AM, Aug 31, 2016
and last updated 2016-08-31 13:45:50-04
It cuts our calories in things we eat every day, but it's 100 times more toxic to your dog than chocolate.
 
We're talking about the sugar substitute Xylitol. 
 
Vets tell Theresa Marchetta, it's one of the biggest hidden dangers to dogs, and it's not always easy to spot. 
 
"I think this is one that kinda goes under the radar and it can be deadly." 
 
Dr. Kevin Fitzgerald says the sugar substitute Xylitol can be deadly to dogs. You'll find it in chewing gum, breath mints, mouthwashes and tooth paste, vitamins, even peanut butter..
 
They tested it in a bunch of species except dogs, and dogs love sweets.
 
It causes liver failure in these guys. It doesn't take much, less than 2 sticks of gum could get you in a lot of trouble. And there's no antidote once a dog eats it.
 
"All we can do is if we get them in 24 hours we can make them vomit." 
 
I pulled a pack of gum out of my purse, but there's no Xylitol on the label.
 
Dr. Fitzgerald found it, "sugar alcohol," another name for Xylitol.  "You have to know what to look for, Sometimes it will say Xylitol or sugar alcohol. Many times it doesn't say anything.