KGUN 9 On Your SideNews

Actions

Italy navy recovers 2015 migrant boat, hopes to ID victims

Posted: 2:33 AM, Jun 29, 2016
Updated: 2016-06-29 08:37:42Z
ROME (AP) — The Italian navy says it has recovered the migrant ship that sank off Sicily last year with an estimated 700 people onboard in one of the worst known tragedies of the Mediterranean migrant crisis.
 
The navy said in a statement Wednesday that it had raised the boat toward the surface from a depth of 370 meters. The wreck is being kept in a refridgerated transport structure for the trip back to land, where forensic experts will begin trying to identify the victims.
 
The navy said a press conference to explain details of the operation is scheduled for Thursday.