KGUN 9 On Your SideNews


Woman wanted on charges arrested and returned to U.S.

Kidnapped child located
Posted at 4:54 PM, Dec 17, 2016
and last updated 2016-12-18 19:31:33-05

Authorities have arrested and returned a 25-year-old woman to the United States from Mexico after she was wanted for multiple charges, according to a news release from the U.S. Marshals Service. 

The U.S. Marshals Service says on Friday Elizabeth Morales was apprehended in Agua Prieta, Sonora, Mexico by Mexican authorities with her 4-month-old kidnapped child. 

She was removed from Mexico by Mexican authorities through the Douglas Port of Entry. 

The Marshals Service says Morales was wanted by the Cochise County Adult Probation Department for a probation warrant with the original charge of Possession of a Narcotic Drug.

She was also wanted by the Tucson Police Department for Failure to Appear with the original charge of Burglary, according to the U.S. Marshal Service.

Authorities say in August Morales gave birth to her son and was ordered to relinquish custody of the child to the Arizona Department of Child Safety shortly after. 

Morales had failed to transfer custody of the child and on December 12 the department of child safety requested the assistance of Arizona WANTED/Violent Offender Task Force-Tucson Division-Child Predator Apprehension Team in locating the child. 

Deputies from the U.S. Marshals then began to pursue all leads to locate Morales and the child. Leads indicated that she and the child fled to Mexico. 

The coordinated efforts between Deputy U.S. Marshals and Mexican authorities resulted in Morales and the child being located at a residence in Agua Prieta, Sonora, Mexico. 

Morales was then deported back through the Douglas Port of Entry where she was arrested by the Douglas Police Department. 

She has been booked into the Cochise County Jail on her outstanding warrants. 

The U.S. Marshals Service says the kidnapped child was also returned to the U.S. at the Douglas Port of Entry. The custody of the child was then immediately turned over to the department of child safety.