KGUN 9 On Your SideNews

Actions

Woman escapes kitchen fire thanks to alarm

CORP-Digital-Default-Image-1280x720-KGUN.png
Posted at 11:53 AM, Nov 25, 2015
and last updated 2015-11-25 13:53:24-05

TUCSON (KGUN9-TV) - Fire crews say a woman escaped a Northwest side fire after a smoke alarm alerted her.

According to Adam Goldberg of Northwest Fire, the fire started in the kitchen of a home in Sun River Apartments, 5037 N. Sun River Circle at 2:30 a.m. Wednesday.

The 51-year-old woman who lives there heard the alarm and battled the fire with a portable extinguisher. Crews arrived on scene five minutes later and had the fire under control within 10 minutes. The woman was treated for smoke inhalation but was not transported to the hospital.

Investigators say the woman fell asleep while cooking, allowing the food to burn and catch fire. The blaze caused $3,000 worth of damage. The Red Cross is helping the woman until the apartment complex relocates her.