KGUN 9 On Your SideNewsLocal News


Tucson Police Chief, Mayor release body camera footage of death of man in TPD custody

Posted at 6:03 PM, Jun 23, 2020
and last updated 2020-06-24 23:10:07-04

TUCSON, Ariz. — Tucson Police Department Chief Chris Magnus and Tucson Mayor Regina Romero held a press conference Wednesday regarding an in-custody death that occurred during an arrest Tuesday, April 21, 2020.

The man who died is 27-year-old Carlos Ingram-Lopez.

Early on the morning of April 21, a woman called 911 saying her grandson -- Carlos Ingram-Lopez -- was drunk, yelling and running around the house naked. Three officers arrived.

Officers cover him with a blanket. Police say about 12 minutes into the encounter, they find Lopez is unresponsive. They try to revive him. Just after 2 a.m., paramedics declare him dead on the scene.

Police Chief Christopher Magnus says police should have disclosed the death sooner but were distracted in part by the COVID situation. Chief Magnus says Lopez autopsy showed he had taken a large dose of cocaine, and had a heart condition.

TIMELINE: What happened after a man died while in TPD custody

The chief says officers did not use any weapons or dangerous restraints like neck holds, but they still broke procedures and would have been fired if they had not resigned.

Mayor Regina Romero voiced sympathy for Lopez family and outrage for his death.

"In the video, we see a person who was very distressed, asking for water, asking for his Nana," she said. "Now we must center the conversation on police accountability and transparency."

Chief Magnus offered to resign for the incident and the slow disclosure that it happened. Accepting the resignation is a decision for the City Manager. Neither he nor the Mayor said what they will do with the Chief’s offer.

Watch the full press conference below:

The information from this case was not released earlier this week to tailor to the family of the individual, so Chief Magnus could meet with them before sharing details with the community.

“In this case, three officers did not live up to the high standards of the Tucson Police Department. They are no longer employed here. The vast, vast majority of our officers do their jobs well and responsibly and are rightfully disturbed and dismayed by any statements to the contrary. I continue to have the utmost confidence in the men and women of our police department," Chief Magnus said.