KGUN 9 On Your SideNewsLocal News


Officials identify U.S Deputy Marshal shot, killed in Tucson

Ryan Schlesinger
Posted at 9:48 AM, Nov 30, 2018
and last updated 2018-11-30 17:07:01-05

TUCSON, Ariz. - A deputy U.S. marshal serving a felony arrest warrant was shot and killed outside a Tucson house.

Officials identified the U.S. marshal as 41-year-old Deputy U.S. Marshal Chase White, who joined the service in 2015.

The man suspected of shooting the marshal Thursday was arrested after an hour-long standoff at the house.

Tucson Police Chief Chris Magnus said the incident happened about 5:30 p.m. on the city's north side.

Magnus said the Marshals Service was serving a warrant against 26-year-old Ryan Schlesinger when the suspect fired at them. Marshal Service personnel returned fire, but the suspect was not wounded.


The warrant accused Schlesinger of stalking a law enforcement officer, said Magnus, who declined to disclose additional details about the warrant.

Stuart De Haan, an attorney representing Schlesinger in a harassment case pending in Pima County Justice Court in Tucson, did not immediately respond to a telephone message Friday seeking comment.

Schlesinger was booked into the Pima County jail in Tucson.

Magnus called the killing "a tragic night for law enforcement in Tucson and across the state of Arizona."

Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey on Twitter expressed condolences to the deputy marshal's family and said "prayers go out to his family and all of Arizona law enforcement."

The Marshals Service said the deputy U.S. marshal was the first killed in the line of duty in Tucson in 66 years.

Deputy Marshal White was an Air Force reservist, preparing for an upcoming deployment. He leaves behind a wife and children.

"We are all extremely saddened by the tragic line-of-duty death of our brother, Deputy U.S. Marshal Chase White, last night in Tucson, Arizona. He was shot and killed while performing his mission. It's a dangerous job, but Chase was devoted to making his community and this nation safer. His sacrifice will not be forgotten," said David J. Anderson, Acting Deputy Director of the U.S. Marshals Service. "Our thoughts are with his family and friends, and our law enforcement community. The nation lost a hero last night."