KGUN 9News


Man stabbed at restaurant on Northwest Side six times -- attack caught on camera

Police make arrest; still looking for second man
Man stabbed at restaurant on Northwest Side
Posted at 10:20 PM, Sep 03, 2016
and last updated 2016-09-05 21:06:52-04

Tucson police have arrested 18-year-old Alex Joseph Haider in connection to an armed robbery and stabbing at Chariot Pizza from last week.

Police say Haider turned himself in to Tucson police officers on Sunday night.

TPD says the other man wanted in connection to the incident is outstanding. 

He is described as a Caucasian man, 5'9', weighs 200 pounds and has brown hair and brown eyes. 

After the incident was reported through local media TPD began receiving multiple tips on possible suspects. 

The tips led police to Haider, he was arrested without incident and booked into the Pima County Jail on Attempted Armed Robbery, Aggravated Robbery, Aggravated Assault with a Weapon, Kidnapping and an Unrelated Misdemeanor Warrant. 

TPD says detectives are furthering their investigation and following up on all leads.

If you have any information you are asked to call 9-1-1 or 88-CRIME.

A local restaurant manager is recovering after being stabbed six times while closing up shop late Thursday night.

It happened around 11 p.m. at Chariot Pizza on the Northwest Side, according to owner Charles Ryan.

The attack was caught on security cameras -- but the two people were wearing bandanas, long sleeves, and hats to mask their identities.

The owner explained the two people came in through the back door and pepper sprayed an employee. While he was blinded -- they went behind the bar and tackled the manager, and proceeded to stab him six times. They chased the employee who was pepper sprayed out, then back in and made him hide underneath a sink before they left -- with no money.

Ryan wants these two people arrested and to be charged with attempted murder.

"I'm hoping that they charge them with attempted murder," he said. "They stabbed him six times, and kicked him in the head three times - after they stabbed him. So I mean, I don't know - if that's not attempted murder, I don't know what is."

A restaurant owner for 23 years, he explained nothing like this had ever happened before at either of his two locations.

"I've owned the other store for 23 years," Ryan said. "We've been burglarized three times, where they just broke the window, came in, took the cash drawer and left. At this location we've never been burglarized or robbed before. This is the very first time."

Because of that, he thinks everybody in the restaurant had probably been a bit too relaxed about security.

"We've probably been a little relaxed. You know, they keep the back door unlocked because we're taking the garbage in and out," he said.

Moving forward, he plans on adding more security, from lights outside to 2 more security cameras. Currently, there are 16 cameras at the restaurant -- he plans on making that number 18 as soon as he can.

"Add more lighting out back so it's brighter. We're going to keep that back door locked," Ryan said. "Until everybody leaves we're going to try and keep a few more people working so they leave all at once and don't leave anybody here all by themselves."

He is working with the police to figure out where to go next -- but his goal is to find out who these people are and have them arrested.

Police say when they arrived on scene they located an adult male employee with obvious stab wounds and immediately began rendering aid to the man.

Members from Tucson Fire Department responded and transported the man to Banner UMC with non life-threatening injuries. 

Police also located another adult male employee who had something sprayed into his eyes which caused temporary blinding and burning. The man was treated on scene by first responders. 

Officers learned that the restaurant was closed and the employees were inside performing end of the night tasks when two unknown male suspects entered through the unlocked back door.

Police say one suspect immediately sprayed what appeared to be pepper spray into the face of one of the employees. 

The suspect then chased after the other employee which led to a struggle between the two men.

While they were struggling, the other suspect came over to assist and stabbed the employee multiple times. 

Police say the first suspect then stomped on the employee several times and the two men fled the area on foot in an unknown direction. 

The Air Unit responded to assist but neither suspect was located. 

Detectives responded to the scene to continue the investigation and learned that after the altercation with the two employees, one of the suspects attempted to take money from the cash register before they both fled.