KGUN 9 On Your SideNewsLocal News

Actions

Grandmother, grandson escape southside house fire

Posted: 10:05 AM, May 21, 2018
Updated: 2018-05-21 18:51:26Z
Grandmother, grandson escape house fire
Grandmother, grandson escape house fire
Grandmother, grandson escape house fire
Grandmother, grandson escape house fire

A grandmother and her grandson are safe after escaping a southside house fire Monday morning.

Tucson Fire crews were called to the 100 block E. Los Reales around 8 a.m.. Fire Chief Andy Skaggs says the fire appears to have started in a back bedroom but no known cause has been determined.

Skaggs says the grandson alerted his grandmother of the fire. The woman then tried to extinguish the flames but was not successful. Both were able to get out of the home safely.

The cause of the fire was accidental. TFD says the grandson had become curious while in the closet after finding matches, causing a fire in the closet.

There were no audible alarms at the time Tucson Fire arrived on scene. Capt. Skaggs reminds the community to install smoke alarms in your home to stay safe and save lives in case of a fire.