Maricopa County Recorder Adrian Fontes says he's forging ahead after last month's voting problems in the primaries but can't guarantee the general election will go off without a hitch.
Fontes spoke with reporters Wednesday, saying his office didn't effectively communicate with the public about other options for voting when dozens of polling locations opened late because of equipment issues.
Fontes maintains that a contractor hired to set up machines didn't send enough techs, which the company, Tempe-based Insight, denies. Fontes says he did not renew a contract with Insight to handle equipment setup in the November general election and that county workers will do that instead.
Fontes, a Democrat, ousted the former elections chief after voter outrage over long lines during the 2016 primary election. Republicans have already started attacking Fontes with videos on social media.