Law enforcement agencies across the state are cracking down on drunk drivers this weekend.
Last year in Arizona nearly 400 people were arrested for DUI during the Cinco de Mayo weekend. More than 1,300 in the last three years. That is why 82 law enforcement agencies in the state will have DUI enforcement this weekend, including all agencies in Pima County.
Officers will be proactive in their efforts to prevent traffic collisions from occurring, and stress the importance of having a designated sober driver and drinking responsibly.
Here's a list of the police agencies participating:
- Tucson Police Department
- Oro Valley Police Department
- Sahuarita Police Department
- South Tucson Police Department
- Marana Police Department
- Nogales Police Department
- University of Arizona Police Department
- Pima Community College Police Department
- Department of Public Safety
- Pima County Sheriff's Department
These agencies will also have high visibility DUI deployments throughout the community from 6 p.m. Friday through 4 a.m. Sunday.
Officials say the best way to keep yourself and others safe is by having a designated driver, calling a friend, a ride service, or taking a taxi home.
They also recommend the following:
- if you're impaired, use a taxi, call a sober friend or family member, or use public transportation, so you are sure to get home safely.
- if you're not sure whether you are impaired, make the safe choice and find a sober driver or ride.
- if you see an impaired driver on the road, don't hesitate to call 911 and report that driver.
- if you know someone who is about to drive while impaired, take their keys and help them make other arrangements to get to where they are going safely.
- always buckle up! wearing your seatbelt is the best defense against an impaired driver.