TUCSON, Ariz. — Planning on heading out on the boat for your Labor Day weekend? If so, it's important to remember some safety tips to ensure both you, your family and friends enjoy your time without any accidents.
The Safe Boating Campaign, a worldwide effort focused on responsible boating led by the National Safe Boating Council, has the following safety tips to keep in mind:
- Check the equipment of the boat before taking it out on the water.
- Wear a life jacket.
- Use an engine cutoff device in case anyone accidentally falls over when the boat is in motion.
- Know what the weather is going to look like for the day or weekend before you get in the water.
- Pay attention while driving, similar to a car.
- Understand all the safety speeds in every place you drive your boat.
- Don't drive a boat under the influence.
- Have a cell phone/ satellite phone / VHF radio in case of an emergency.