TUCSON, Ariz. (KGUN) — The Arizona-Sonoran Desert Museum has been named one of the best zoos in North America!
In the Best Zoo category on USA Today's 10 Best section, the popular Tucson attraction placed number eight.
Here's what the website said about the museum:
The Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum in Tucson blends elements of a zoo, botanical garden, art gallery, museum and aquarium into a seamless and unparalleled look at the region’s wildlife. Animals displayed along 2 miles of trails are integrated impeccably into the vast landscapes. Observing coyotes, peccaries, mountain lions and bobcats in their naturalistic enclosures is as close as most visitors will come to seeing them in the wild.
The Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, which opened in 1952, covers 98 acres with 242 animal species. The majority of the exhibits, 85 percent, are outdoors.
To purchase tickets to the museum, click here.
Last year, KGUN 9 highlighted the desert museum as part of its Absolutely Arizona series.
Here is the complete list from USA Today:
- Fort Worth Zoo - Fort Worth
- Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden - Cincinnati
- Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium - Omaha, Neb.
- Cheyenne Mountain Zoo - Colorado Springs
- Brevard Zoo - Melbourne, Fla.
- Audubon Zoo - New Orleans
- San Diego Zoo - San Diego
- Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum - Tucson
- Dallas Zoo - Dallas
- Living Desert Zoo and Gardens - Palm Desert, Calif.