TUCSON, Ariz. (KGUN) — The Department of Education (DoEd), U.S. Census Bureau and Federal Reserve estimate 1 in 4 federal student borrowers across the country may be eligible for public loan forgiveness.
Data coming from StudentLoanHero.com reveals just over 20% of federal student loan borrowers in Arizonan would be eligible: 177,872 out of 868,400 employees.
This eligibility comes as an effect of the Biden administration's recent changes to America's public service program.
State breakdown of estimated borrowers by employment type shows:
- 55,133 nonprofit, charitable or tax-exempt organizations employees
- 55,700 local government employees
- 40,778 state government employees
- 26,261 federal government employees
Arizona could see $6.3 billion in debt eligible for forgiveness, ranking 18 out of the rest of the United States.
STAY IN TOUCH WITH US ANYTIME, ANYWHERE
- Download our free app for Roku, FireTV, AppleTV, Alexa, and mobile devices.
- Sign up for daily newsletters emailed to you
- Like us on Facebook
- Follow us on Instagram
- Follow us on Twitter