SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. (AP) - A $1.5 million settlement has been reached with the parents of a toddler who died after he was pinned in a Scottsdale fire-station door last year.
The Arizona Republic reports that the Scottsdale City Council approved the settlement at its Aug. 27 meeting.
Dan and Courtney Reiss filed a $9 million wrongful death lawsuit against the city and several other defendants last year.
The couple's 16-month-old son died in February 2018 after becoming trapped in a large bay door at a Scottsdale fire station and suffering severe head injuries.
According to the lawsuit, the bay door quickly and violently slammed shut on the child.
But a police report released in April 2018 concluded that the door didn't malfunction and there was no criminal intent in the boy's death.