We got him?
Jason Lamm, the attorney for accused freeway shooter Leslie Merritt Jr., announced all charges have formally been dismissed against Merritt.
The tweet by Lamm showed the motion to dismiss all charges officially filed by the Superior Court of Arizona.
The motion reads: “This Court having reviewed and considered the State’s Motion to Dismiss Without Prejudice. filed April 22, 2015, and good cause appearing. IT IS ORDERED dismissing this case without prejudice.”
— Jason Lamm (@PhxCriminalAtty) April 25, 2016
Merritt will not be under the supervision of pretrial services.
Merritt was released from jail last week after a judge reduced his bond to $0.
BREAKING: We got him! DPS SWAT team is in custody of the individual suspected of I-10 shootings. Apprehended moments ago.
— Doug Ducey (@dougducey) September 19, 2015
Merritt was arrested in August and indicted on 15 felony counts in connection with several of the 11 confirmed shootings which happened on Valley freeways last year. DPS officials said they had ballistic evidence tying him to four shooting incidents on Interstate 10 which happened between August 27 and 29.
Merritt entered a plea of not guilty, and his lawyers have challenged the strength of the state's evidence against him, pointing out officials altered the timeline of when they occurred, and accused DPS of lying to witnesses and withholding evidence .
Merritt and his lawyers filed a lawsuit last month against the State of Arizona, Maricopa County, Gov. Doug Ducey and Maricopa County Attorney Bill Montgomery for $10 million in compensation for lost wages, legal fees and emotional stress .
"If you can use the state's evidence against them, that sometimes can be just devastating to a prosecution," said Diaz.