PHOENIX - Dozens of messenger pigeons were killed in a fire that broke out in a west Phoenix home.
Firefighters were called to a first-alarm fire at a home near 57th Avenue and Camelback Road early Saturday morning.
The fire initially sparked in the rear of the house before spreading to the entire building, fire officials said. The fire then moved to a nearby home and caused damage to the attic and a bedroom.
Neighbors alerted residents of the fire after seeing smoke coming from the home, authorities said.
According to a Phoenix Fire spokesperson, 80 homing pigeons died in the blaze due to exposure. One of the homeowners affected by the fire is a member of a messenger bird association and was breeding the birds in his backyard.
The residents and four dogs escaped the fire unharmed, however, 10 people have been displaced between both homes.
It's unknown how the fire started but an investigation remains ongoing.