Rural Metro firefighters rescued five hikers who got sick as a result of the heat in Pima County on Sunday. One person had to be taken to a nearby hospital.
The hikers were rescued from the Sabino Canyon and Reddington area.
Rural Metro wants to remind all hikers to prepare for the warmer weather.
Here are some important hiker safety tips to have a good experience on the beautiful Pima County hiking trails:
- Drink plenty of water before the hike.
- Bring enough water and snacks for the hike.
- Wear good protection from the sun.
- Do not hike alone.
- Pick a trail that is within your limits. If you are new to hiking, start with a trail that is suited to your level of experience and fitness level. Physical and medical conditions can exacerbate in the heat along with increased physical work.
- Plan to hike early in the day.