While everyone knows the Wednesday the day before Thanksgiving is absolutely insane to travel – did you know the Wednesday the week BEFORE Thanksgiving is just as bad for business travelers? In fact, nearly 60% more business travelers are hitting the road that Wednesday than the average weekday — making it the busiest business travel day of the year. And this year is gearing up to be just as busy and STRESSFUL. According to the latest “La Quinta Means Business” survey, 96% of business travelers have had to travel for work the week before Thanksgiving and 81% of them feel they’re likely to experience stress as a result.
But what to do? When the boss says travel, you travel. Enter La Quinta by Wyndham – a longtime champion of the business traveler.
La Quinta is encouraging its guests to take a breather while they take care of business before the holiday rush with its new Take a Paws Project. On the busiest day for business travel, the La Quinta Manhattan Midtown and Chicago Downtown properties will offer frazzled travelers access to special amenities alongside its signature services – like free Wi-Fi, free breakfast, comfortable bedding, and more – to help them triumph in their travels. Guests can say “ohm” to zen offerings including weighted blankets for anxiety-free sleep, endorphin-producing fitness and meditation classes, and a special pet therapy session in the lobby where they can experience the naturally relaxing influence of furry friends.
Research shows that people experience less stress when a dog is around. Little things like petting a therapy dog can increase levels of the stress-reducing hormone oxytocin and decrease the production of the stress hormone cortisol. So, it’s no surprise that the latest “La Quinta Means Business” survey found that 86% of business travelers agree: petting a dog while on a business trip would be one of the best ways to de-stress.
La Quinta is helping its guests achieve greater business travel tranquility with help from stress expert Dr. Kathleen Hall and pet expert Dr. Evan Antin, as well as Pet Partners [petpartners.org], the largest therapy animal non-profit in the U.S., who will provide guests the unique chance to engage with therapy dogs on November 20 at the brand’s Midtown Manhattan and Downtown Chicago locations.
- Results from the latest “La Quinta Means Business” survey, including:
- Stress related to business travel impacts business travelers in many ways, such as making it harder to relax (54%), feeling anxious or moody (49%), having difficulty sleeping (45%), and creating headaches or migraines (35%).
- Virtually all (98%) business travelers do something to de-stress at their hotel when traveling for work, and some of the most popular options are watching TV (64%), taking a nap or meditating (52%), FaceTiming family and friends (49%), or working out at the hotel gym (47%).
- A majority (58%) of career commuters would feel less stressed working late every night the week before Thanksgiving than going on a business trip that week, but 53% say they’d rather go on an unexpected trip than sit next to the most annoying guest at Thanksgiving dinner.
- One in three parents say they’d be more stressed about leaving their pet behind when they travel for work than their children.
- Almost all (95%) pet-parents reported feeling like their pet was guilt-tripping them before their work trip by looking anxious (58%), whimpering (55%), sitting in or on the suitcase (45%) or even physically blocking the door (35%) – unsurprisingly, 92% of business travelers feel work trips are as stressful for the owner as they are for pets left at home.
About Dr. Evan Antin:
Dr. Evan Antin is Instagram’s most-followed veterinarian with over 1.1 million followers. Evan went viral after being featured in People Magazine ’s "Sexiest Man Alive" issue in 2014, and again in 2017. Dubbed “the sexiest veterinarian,” he took the Internet by storm.
In February 2019, Evan’s new television show Evan Goes Wild premiered on Animal Planet. In the show, viewers watch Evan chase his wildlife bucket list as he swims alongside humpback whales in Tahiti, explores caves with bats in the Philippines, and tangles with crocodiles in the Yucatan. Evan brings his passion and love for all wildlife to each adventure where, as a practicing veterinarian, he also lends a
helping hand to animals in need along the way.
In 2018 Evan debuted HAPPY PET, his pet wellness brand that is available online . The products use natural and eco-friendly ingredients and are available in three convenient categories—Clean, Fresh, and Active.
About Dr. Kathleen Hall
Dr. Kathleen Hall is the founder and CEO of Mindful Living Network® and The Stress Institute®. After many years working as an international stress expert at The Stress Institute®, she realized that Mindful Living® is an antidote to stress, and subsequently founded the Mindful Living Network® in 2007 to promote Mindful Living®, mental and physical health, stress resilience, and work-life balance.
During times of stress and crisis such as mass shootings, terrorist bombings, and disasters such as the Boston Marathon Bombing, the Washington Naval Yard shooting, the Newtown Massacre, the West Virginia and Utah coal miner tragedies, Katrina ravaging the Gulf Coast, the Newtown shootings, Air France crash, London terrorist bombing, and the Runaway Bride – the national television and print media consistently seek the authoritative knowledge, information and direction of Dr. Kathleen Hall. Many media outlets look to her for the most credible and up-to-date information on stress-related, lifestyle, and Mindful Living® topics.