Tucson Morning Blend


Here's what to do if your child swallows a coin battery

Posted at 3:18 PM, Oct 29, 2020
and last updated 2020-10-29 18:18:21-04

Every year hundreds of lithium coin batteries are accidentally ingested, with more than half being swallowed by children under six.Where are these lithium coin batteries found? They can be found in some devices you may already have in your home: Calculators, TV remotes, digital thermometers, scales and key car fobs, just to name a few.

Key facts about the new Duracell lithium coin battery designed to help decrease accidental ingestions:

  • A bitter non-toxic coating designed to help deter accidental ingestion has been added to its lithium coin batteries -- sizes 2032, 2025, and 2016. A 20MM lithium coin battery is about the same diameter as that of a child’s esophagus. If swallowed, it can burn the surrounding tissue in just two hours causing serious harm.
  • Additional safety features including child-secure packaging, and supportive education materials are now available.
  • Receiving the Parent Tested Parent Approved Winner’s Seal of Approval, Duracell is helping to educate families, caregivers and Pediatric Health Professionals on updated child safety features and guidelines of the lithium coin battery.
  • Their Child Secure Pack features a tough double blister around the lithium coin cell that is nearly impossible to open with bare hands. In order to retrieve the batteries, the pack must be opened by using a pair of scissors.

To kickstart the Power Safely campaign, Duracell has created an informational educational video to shed light on the effects lithium coin battery ingestions can have on young children and to help encourage better practices and prevention among parents and caregivers. The video showcases how even the most child-proofed home can still have hidden dangers that may be inadvertently overlooked, and how important the bitter coating as an additional line of defense may be to help protect children from the dangers of accidental ingestion.