KGUN 9 On Your SideNews

Actions

Unattended candle causes bedroom fire that displaces three

CORP-Digital-Default-Image-1280x720-KGUN.png
Posted at 2:55 PM, Dec 16, 2016
and last updated 2016-12-16 16:55:46-05

A bedroom fire started by an unattended candle has displaced three people and two dogs from a mobile home, according to a news release from the Tucson Fire Department. 

Capt. Andy Skaggs said units responded to a 9-1-1 call in the 6300 block of South Randall from a resident reporting smoke coming from a bedroom. The resident thought the smoke may have been from a candle. 

The first unit on scene reported seeing smoke coming from the cooler on the roof.

As firefighters gained entry into the home, they located a contents fire in the back bedroom. Crews were able to extinguish the fire quickly and since the bedroom door was closed, the fire and majority of the the smoke damage were contained to the bedroom. 

Skaggs said the resident at home was alerted to the fire by the smell of smoke as there were no working smoke alarms in the home. 

A total of three units and eight firefighters controlled the fire nine minutes after arriving. 

There were no injuries reported to the firefighters or the residents. 

Skaggs said the displaced family required assistance from the Red Cross. 

Investigators were able to determine that the fire was caused by an unattended candle in the bedroom. 

There is not yet an estimate on damages to the mobile home.