KGUN 9 On Your SideNewsLocal News

Actions

Electrical fire at midtown home displaces family of three

Posted at 4:16 AM, Jan 11, 2018
and last updated 2018-01-11 09:15:07-05

An electrical issue is to blame for an attic fire at a midtown duplex, that forced a family from the home.

Tucson Fire was called to the home near 22nd St. and Swan Rd. around 3:30 a.m. Thursday. Those first on scene say there was low lying smoke from the street to the house.

Fire crews say the home was free of smoke but reported seeing smoke come from the roof. After a hole was cut, firefighters were able to get the flames under control. No one was hurt.

The husband and wife in their 40's and the 21-year-p;d nephew will be staying with family.

Fire Captain Andy Skaggs says there were no working smoke alarms in the home. One of the family members was waking up when he tried to turn on a light. When it did not work, he noticed the smoke and called 9-1-1 as he woke everyone else in the home.