KGUN 9 On Your SideNewsLocal News


How to keep your dog safe on Thanksgiving

Posted at 5:33 PM, Nov 22, 2018
and last updated 2018-11-22 19:33:06-05

Thanksgiving day is here and while you're cramming your food with all the best holiday foods, you may be tempted to give in to your dog's puppy eyes, but you shouldn't. Here's why:

Petsmart has confirmed that gravies, marinades and sauces can make food that's seemingly healthy, like Turkey, unsafe for your dog to consume.

If you do give in to Fido, be sure to at least avoid these items, per Petsmart and the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals' (ASPCA) recommendations:

Chocolate- This one is kind of obvious, but it's bad because it's toxic for dogs to consume. More specifically, it's the theobromine that doesn't bode well with your pooch. Aside from poisoning, it also causes overstimulation of the heart in pets, amid other health issues. Don't give ANY to your pet.  

Cooked Bones - These can splinter and get lodges in all kinds of places in your pet's digestive system, including their gums, throat and inside their intestinal tract. That's no fun for anyone, or, in this case anydog. 

Onions, garlic, scallions and chives - These foods have thiosulphate, which can damage red blood cells in your pet. That's not all though- they can also cause diarrhia, vomiting, gastrointestinal discomfort and breathlessness; a mess and a vet visit no one wants to make. 

Raw eggs-Anything that you've cooked with raw eggs, including cake, isn't a good idea to share. Raw eggs may contain salmonella, which leads to food poisoning. 

Macadamia nuts- Everyone knows about chocolate, but what makes the nuts so bad? Severe reactions, that's what. Reactions like muscular weakness, tremors, abdominal pain, disorientation and depression. 

Grapes and raisins- For unkown reasons, these are as toxic to dogs as chocolate is, causing major health complications - like vomiting, diarrhea, gastrointestinal upset and even kidney failure. 

Baked goods, gum, mints, candy- Avoid giving your dog those sweets! Xylitol, a sugar substitute, which is highly toxic to dogs, is found usually in these food items. Liver damage, dangerously low blood sugar and potential death could await your dog if you give them a dessert meant for humans. 

Alcohol- Okay, so the thought of a drunk pet might amuse you. But don't. Seriously. Petsmart advises to NEVER give alcohol to a pet. It's toxic and a bad time for your pooch. Health issues include: cardiac arrest, inadequate respiration (not enough air for the lungs), and even death.

Coffee, or anything with caffeine- Don't pour that soda, coffee, energy drink or anything else with caffiene into their water bowl. Hyperactivity, vomiting, siezures, high heart rates, high blood pressure, restlessness and other dangerous complications can arise. 

Uncooked Yeast dough - Everyone likes to bake on the holidays, but don't give this or bread dough to your dog. A dog's digestive tract can ferment the alcohol found in uncooked dough can cause ethanol poisoning. Also, abdonimal pain, vomiting, bloating, disorientation and depression can result.

So what's the solution?
Visit your local pet store and get some baked dog treats, made for chewing pet bones, regular treats, or give them a toy with small bits of turkey or vegetables not covered in any kind of sauce to get their mind off the holiday table.  

If you do think your pet is poisoned, has consumed anything potentially poisonous, or showing signs of being ill, please contact the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435. This is one of the best resources for any animal poison-related emergency, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.