SCOTTSDALE, AZ — Dolphinaris Arizona announced Monday that an 11-year-old female Atlantic bottlenose dolphin named Khloe has died.
Officials say Khloe had joined Dolphinaris in 2016 and passed away Sunday following a long chronic illness.
"Prior to her arrival at Dolphinaris, Khloe struggled with chronic illness due to a parasite called Sarcocystis, which can affect mammals, including dolphins," said Christian Schaeffer, General Manager of Dolphinaris.
Officials say Khloe's caregivers had recently noticed that her health was showing signs of decline and "took every action possible to try and save her."
An animal autopsy will be conducted and officials say Dolphinaris will share the findings with the global veterinary community in hopes of aiding in the treatment of other mammals affected by Sarcocystis.
In May 2018, a female bottlenose dolphin named Alia died at Dolphinaris from an acute bacterial infection.