KGUN 9 On Your SideNews

Actions

Bathroom fan malfuctions, starts fire

Posted at 9:37 PM, Aug 01, 2016
and last updated 2016-08-02 00:37:05-04

A bathroom exhaust fan malfunctioned and caused a fire in the 9200 block of East Stella Road on Monday evening. 

A family of five has been displaced after the incident according to the Tucson Fire Department. 

A female resident in her 70's was home when she smelled smoke and heard her smoke alarm activate. Se 

She was able to evacuate safely. Firefighters arrived on scene and noticed flames coming from the bathroom ceiling and were able to quickly extinguish the fire. 

Nine units and 23 firefighters responded to the fire and controlled the fire in 12 minutes. 

Tucson Fire wants to remind the public that all bathroom exhaust fans should be cleaned and inspected as necessary. 

Bathroom fans should only be used for brief periods of time.