NW Fire battles apartment fire Thursday night
Web Producer: Mekita Rivas
TUCSON (KGUN9-TV) - Northwest Fire District firefighters responded to a call at the Village of the Foothills apartment complex located in the 2600 block of West Ina Road around 11 p.m. Thursday night.
In a news release, Capt. Adam Goldberg said that crews arrived within three minutes of the 9-1-1 calls and found light smoke coming from an upstairs apartment unit.
Crews found a grease fire on the stove that had extended out of a pan. The fire burned up into the microwave and cabinet area of the kitchen. The fire had been nearly extinguished by one of the apartment occupants using a fire extinguisher.
It took three engine companies, a ladder company and support units totaling 21 firefighters to completely extinguish the fire within 10 minutes of units arriving on the scene.
All three occupants evacuated the apartment. One of the occupants, a 24-year-old man, used his fist to break the glass of the fire extinguisher encasement and returned to the apartment to use the extinguisher to put the fire out. He was treated for minor injuries at the scene before seeking further care at a local hospital.
The fire caused smoke damage throughout the apartment, along with fire damage to several appliances as well as the surrounding walls and ceiling. Damage estimates from the complex management are not available at this time.