Three cats die in fire started by electric blanket
Web Producer: Rikki Mitchell
TUCSON (KGUN9-TV) - A fifth-wheel trailer caught on fire Tuesday after an electric blanket malfunctioned, killing the owner's three cats.
Capt. Barrett Baker with Tucson Fire tells KGUN9 that firefighters responded to a trailer park in the 4500 block of south mission road at about 11:50 after reports of a trailer on fire.
A man noticed smoke coming from the bedroom area and took a pressure washer to try and extinguish the flames.
The man burned his hair, but did not suffer any burn injuries.
Firefighters extinguished the remaining fire and removed the bed from the trailer to minimize smoke damage.
Eight units and 21 firefighters were dispatched and had the fire under control within five minutes.
There were no injuries to residents or firefighters but three cats died.
Red Cross responded to the scene to help the owner and animal control went as well to help the owner with the dead cats.
The cause was determined as an unspecified electrical malfunction of an electric blanket. Damages are estimated at $70,000.