Woman is without home after electrical fire
TUCSON (KGUN9-TV) - One lucky Tucson woman and her two dogs walked away with their lives despite not having a working smoke alarm when an electrical fire started near her bathroom Saturday night.
Firefighters responded to the 5700 block of East Glenn Street at around 10:30 p.m. Saturday after a woman called 9-1-1 to report that she saw smoke and flames coming from her bathroom, according to Capt. Jeff Langejans with the Tucson Fire Department.
The woman then grabbed her two dogs and evacuated the home while she waited for firefighters, Langejans said.
Once on scene, crews discovered that the fire was inside the wall separating the bathroom and laundry room, according to Langejans.
Firefighters then went to the roof where they could see flames traveling up into the ceiling. Lagejans tells KGUN9 that crews were able to put the fire out within 10 minutes.
The fire, which was caused by an electrical wire failure, caused approximately $20,000 in damage. Plus, electrical services had to be shut off, rendering the home uninhabitable, according to Langejans.
Langejans tells KGUN9 that while the home had a smoke alarm, it wasn't working. He wants to remind homeowners and tenants that the majority of home fire deaths occur between 11:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m., and that 65 percent of all home fire deaths occur when there are no smoke alarms or no working smoking alarms inside a home.
He goes on to say that a working smoke alarm can increase the chances of surviving a fire by about 50 percent.