Gas leak causes explosion, fire
Web Producer: Ina Ronquillo
PIMA COUNTY, Ariz. (KGUN9-TV) - A family has been displaced after a gas leak lead to an explosion and fire.
Capt. Adam Goldberg with Northwest Fire tells KGUN9 that around 12:30 p.m., firefighters were called to the 4400 block of North Obetka Avenue for a house fire.
The first crew on scene found heavy smoke coming from the roof and windows of the home.
A husband and wife in their early 70's, who were home at the time were able to safely escape.
Firefighter saw several windows had been blown out and the seams of the roof had significant gaps from the home's brick walls.
The occupant were assessed for injuries at the scene, but were treated and released.
Northwest Fire District's Community Assistance Team and The Red Cross responded to the scene to aid the family with housing needs.
Fire investigators on scene deemed the cause of the fire to be a gas explosion, but the source of which is still under investigation.
Northwest Fire reminds you that in the event you smell natural gas or an odor of rotten eggs, to call 9-1-1 immediately.