Neighbor calls police to report smoke, prevents major fire
TUCSON (KGUN9-TV) - One neighbor's swift actions helped prevent what could have been an explosive residential fire Friday morning.
A neighbor in the 1200 block of north Euclid Avenue called 9-1-1 to report smoke coming from a nearby home just before 9:30 a.m. Friday, according to Jeff Langejans with the Tucson Fire Department.
Langejans tells KGUN9 that once crews were on scene they noticed that the home was full of smoke. Firefighters immediately began searching for occupants within the home.
Due to a recent remodel of the structure and upgraded insulation and windows, the fire was smoldering, according to Langejans.
Langejans says this is a dangerous type of fire because it only needs a little oxygen to become explosive.
The fire consumed a couch and spread into a wall, but firefighters were able to get the fire under control in just three minutes, Langejans said. The damage is estimated at $70,000, but there were no injuries and the Red Cross is not needed at this time.
The Tucson Fire Department and Tucson Police Department will take part in the investigation as the fire appears to have been a criminal act, according to Langejans.