Fire breaks out near 29th and Swan
Web Producer: Mekita Rivas
TUCSON (KGUN9-TV) - Tucson Fire Department was on the scene of an apartment fire near 29th and Swan that broke out early Wednesday morning.
TFD Captain Barrett Baker said that smoke and flames were coming from a third floor apartment. Firefighters immediately pulled hose lines to the affected apartment to extinguish the flames.
The neighboring apartment was unoccupied. A ladder crew confirmed that fire had not spread into the attic.
The family who lived in the apartment was alerted to the fire from the smell of smoke and a smoke alarm sounding. They got out of the apartment safely and got downstairs with no injuries. The Red Cross was advised and will assist the family in their time of need.
The manager of the apartment complex was also working with the family to try and get them into another unit.
There were no injuries to firefighters. The apartment was a total loss and damages are estimated to be $60,000.
The cause of the fire was a child playing with a lighter, which ignited a mattress. Baker said parents should speak with their kids about the dangers of playing with matches and lighters.