Sprinkler system puts out apartment fire
Web Producer: Rikki Mitchell
TUCSON (KGUN9-TV) - Tucson Fire responded to an apartment fire late Thursday night, but found that a single sprinkler head extinguished the flames, according to Capt. Jeff Langejans with TFD.
Langejans tells KGUN9 that reports came in of smoke and flames at a three story apartment complex at 2 W. University Blvd.
When firefighters investigated the smoke, they found that the fire was extinguished by a sprinkler head, and crews only needed to shut down the water flow and clean up.
The fire started because the residents had left a large pan of oil on the stove unattended.
All four residents were able to evacuate safely when they heard the alarm.
There were no injuries to the residents or to firefighters and the residents were moved to a vacant apartment.
Damages are estimated at $15,000 and the cause has been determined as accidental cooking.
Tucson Fire says to ensure homes have a working smoke alarm and sprinkler system, as both can reduce the likelihood of death from fire by 80 percent.