Chemical accident leaves two cats in serious condition
Web Producer: Ina Ronquillo
TUCSON (KGUN9-TV) - Crews with Northwest Fire responded to a home after a homeowner accidentally mixed pool chemicals inside the home.
Cpt. Adam Goldberg tells KGUN9 that firefighters responded to the home in the 3000 block of West Avenida Cresta. The owner indicated he had mixed two packages of pool shock into some water and it began emit gas.
The owner who called suffered inhalation injuries from the fumes and was treated at the scene by paramedics. He also noted he had two cats in the home. Firefighters donned their air packs to enter the home and rescue the cats. Both cats were removed from the home and taken to a vet for emergency treatment. Their conditions are considered serious.
The Hazardous Materials team took air samples within the home and found high levels of chlorine gas. Ventilation fans were set up to clear the structure of the gas. The surrounding neighborhood was also monitored for any hazards, but no chlorine gas was detected outside the home.
Northwest Fire would like to remind everyone that all chemicals, whether for a pool, fertilizers, and pest control or household cleaners should be treated with care. Always read labels before using any products and make certain to store and handle them in accordance to the manufactures recommendations.
The following are safety tips to be used at all times:
- Never use a product for a purpose other than its intended use
- Never mix chemicals inside of a home or any poorly ventilated areas.
- Always use gloves and eye protection when handling any hazardous products
- Keep kids and pets out of reach of any chemicals in storage or use
- Contact 9-1-1 or the Poison Control Center anytime there is a spill or injury with household chemicals