Apartment fire displaces one
Web Producer: Marissa Pasquet
TUCSON (KGUN9-TV) - Authorities say the occupant of an apartment was removing ashes from the fireplace and accidentally spilled them on the couch, which started a fire.
Authorities say there were several calls made to 911 to report smoke coming from a second floor balcony on the 9000 Block of E. Speedway Blvd. The fire started just after 7:30 a.m. Sunday.
Fire crews reported smoke and flames coming from the balcony of a second story apartment.
Fire crews pulled hose lines in through the front door to make an aggressive interior attack. After completing a search for victims, they put out the fire.
Tucson Fire officials say it took eight units and twenty-one firefighters twelve minutes to bring the fire under control. There is just one occupant who lived in the apartment.
There were no injuries and Red Cross was not needed. Fire officials say there was a working smoke alarm in the apartment.
Authorities estimate the damage at $10,000.00 and the fire was caused by the ashes from the fireplace in the living room.
Safety Message from Tucson Fire officials: It is important to place ashes from a fireplace into a metal can when removing them from a fireplace. A spray bottle with water can also be used to make sure that ashes are completely extinguished. Never leave a fire unattended.