Early morning fire causes $60,000 loss in damages
Web Producer: Marissa Pasquet
TUCSON (KGUN9-TV) - A fire started at a house in the 6000 Block of East 23rd Street and caused an estimated $60,000 worth of damage Sunday morning.
Authorities say one of the residents awoke to smoke in the house and successfully removed 3 other occupants to the outside; he then placed a call to 911. Firefighters arrived within three minutes of receiving the 911 dispatch call and witnessed smoke coming from the windows and doors of the house.
A firefighter assisted in removing a dog that was just inside the door of the house. Fire crews made an aggressive interior attack via the front door and completed a primary search, according to officials.
Capt. Jeff Langejans says the fire originated in the laundry room and quickly spread to adjacent rooms. It took twenty-one firefighters eighteen minutes to extinguish the blaze.
There were no injuries. Although smoke detectors were in the home, none of them had working batteries. Four occupants and 1 dog were displaced; Red Cross will be assisting them with food and shelter.
Safety Message: Remember to have a working smoke alarm and an escape plan with two ways out of every room. Most home fire deaths occur between the hours of 11 p.m. and 7 a.m., and having a working smoke alarm can increase your chances of survival. Test the batteries every month and change them at least once a year.