Labor Day events in Tucson
Web Producer: Marissa Pasquet
TUCSON (KGUN9-TV)- A variety of events as diverse as Tucson itself are taking place this Labor Day weekend, both in and near town.
- Starts about 5:15 a.m. - 6 a.m.: The 42nd annual TMC Saguaro National Park Labor Day Run will take place at Saguaro EAST. The venerable Tucson race has reached an all-time high for entrants: 1,398. Just three years ago, this race attracted only 600 finishers – now more than double that have registered for the 8-mile run and the 5k walk/run. Saguaro National Park East, 3693 S. Old Spanish Trail Rd.
- Rolling Hills Golf Course is holding a Patriot Day Event at the course located at 8900 E. 29th Street. The event starts at 8a.m. until 11 a.m. Donations will to go toward injured vets and the golf course board will match the funds raised.
- HoCoFest Music Festival in downtown Tucson: Enjoy worldly food and listen to unique indie music, in downtown Tucson, Sept. 3-6. In addition to the 40- plus bands playing inside Hotel Congress’s Club as well as outdoors, HoCoFest will feature an eco-fair and solar-powered entertainment venue: a family fair, a barbecue, a fashion show, vendors and much more. Call 520.247.4141.
- The Children’s Museum Tucson is a nonprofit organization located in the historic Carnegie Library building in downtown Tucson, at 200 S 6th Ave., Tucson, AZ 85701. On Monday, September 5th, "Once Upon a Story" is a free literary event taking place from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. It includes hands-on projects, readings and more. Admission is FREE for this Labor Day event for children. Call 520.792.9985.
- Saguaro National Park Labor Day Run - Sep. 5 The Southern Arizona Roadrunners presents a morning run through the scenic cactus-forest loop in Saguaro National Park East in the Rincon Mountain foothills, including 2-mile and 8-mile courses. 520-326-9383.
- Labor Day Weekend at The Ritz-Carlton - Sep. 2 - Sep. 4 Barbecue buffet, culinary events and new fun and games to highlight Labor Day weekend at The Ritz-Carlton, Dove Mountain. Restaurants and special bar experiences open to the public. 520-572-3000.
- Labor Day Celebration at Hilton El Con - Sep. 4 Tucson Hilton El Conquistador Golf and Tennis Resort celebrates Labor Day with a barbecue buffet, a live concert featuring 80's & Gentlemen, and a fireworks show. 520-544-5000.
- Near Tucson: Sonoita Labor Day Rodeo: Sonoita Labor Day Rodeo takes place Sept. 5-7 at the Sonoita Fairgrounds. The cooler Sonoita climate lends itself to perfect outdoor weather. Pre-rodeo begins at 1 p.m. with the kid’s rodeo, presented by the Santa Cruz County Fair & Rodeo Association. Rodeo events include the wild horse race, ladies barrel race, bull riding, team roping and much more. 520.455.5553.
- Sabbar Shrine Fall Festival - Sabbar Shrine Center, 450 S. Tucson Blvd. Annual fall festival, arts and crafts fair and corn fest. Lunch served 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sweet corn for sale. 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Sept. 3; 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Sunday. Free. 624-2509.
- 30th Annual Rendezvous of Gunfighters - O.K. Corral, 326 E. Allen St, Tombstone. Gunfight groups perform daily shows. Also, on Allen Street, a Chinese Lion Dance parade at 11 a.m. today and an 1880s costume parade at 11 a.m Sunday. Individual entries welcome; registration begins at 9:45 a.m. www.tombstonewildbunch.com for show times and more info at www.okcorral.com. Presented by The Tombstone Wild Bunch. 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Sept. Saturday through Monday. $10 for corral shows; free for parades. 1-520-457-3456.
- Rendezvous on 4th Avenue - On Fourth Avenue between University Boulevard and Ninth Street. Live music at four locations from 5 to 9 p.m. Fashion show at 7:30 p.m. at Winsett Outdoor Performance Center, 316 N. Fourth Ave. Also, prizes. 5-9 p.m. Saturday. Free. 624-5004.
- Monster Mash - The HangArt, 512 N. Echols Ave. Cackle and lord over the death of summer with the Faustians. Mr. Free and the Satellite Freakout and Countache perform. Puppets Amongus perform. Doctorr Faustus' Scream Queen Contest Finale. Proceeds benefit the haunted house. 8 p.m. Saturday. $6. 304-6944.
- 15th Annual Labor Day Picnic - Reid Park Bandshell, 1100 S. Randolph Way. Honors working families and union members. Hot dogs, musical acts, dancers, labor history exhibits, children's activities and "Union Olympics" games. Hosted by the Pima Area Labor Federation (PALF), a subsidiary of the Arizona AFL-CIO. 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Monday.
- The Hilton Tucson El Conquistador, AAA Four-Diamond resort located in the picturesque foothills of Santa Catalina Mountains would like you to know about the Labor Day Weekend celebration they are holding:
WHEN: Friday, September 2, 2011 – Monday September 5, 2011
WHERE: Hilton Tucson El Conquistador, 10000 North Oracle Road, Tucson, Arizona, 85704
WHAT: Labor Day Weekend celebration featuring a live DJ playing by the pool all weekend long as well as poolside games, cookie decorating and watermelon eating contests, pizza making and more!
Exciting evening activities for the whole family will include “Cosmic Slide,” stargazing, dive-in movies and dinner specials at the resort’s signature restaurant, Dos Locos.
On Sunday, September 4 at 9:00 p.m. guests and locals alike are invited to delight in the promised and long-awaited spectacular fireworks show and live concert with 80’s & Gentlemen at Pusch Ridge Golf Course. Starting at 5:30 p.m., prior to the fireworks display, guests will enjoy a traditional summer dinner buffet and BBQ at the Last Territory.
Dinner and show ticket prices for resort guests are $27 for adults and $12 for children five -12 years. Non-resort guests can also take part in the festivities for $35 for adults and $15 for children five -12 years old. Children five and under eat for free. Reservations are required. Labor Day weekend room rates at Hilton Tucson El Conquistador start at only $109 per night.
WHY: To celebrate the final days of summer and provide an unforgettable experience for the entire family.
CONTACT: For additional information about the Labor Day Weekend celebration, to make dinner and fireworks show reservations or to book a stay, call 520-544-5000 or visit www.hiltonelconquistador.com.