Family of four displaced after grill fire
Web Producer: Mary Myles
TUCSON (KGUN9-TV) - A gas grill leak on a back porch started a fire causing an estimated $20,000 worth of damage to the home.
According to Trish Tracy with Tucson Fire, firefighters responded to a house fire near the 7900 Block of East Sundew Drive.
Homeowners had been preparing a meal until an accidental propane leak occurred on their gas grill. Fortunately for the residents, their neighbors dialed 9-1-1 when they noticed the flames, says Tracy.
After a span of 11 minutes, 7 units and 21 firefighters had extinguished the fire and evacuated two of the people living in the home. Red Cross was not notified of any injuries from this fire. The family of four is currently living in another location until all of the damage is repaired.
Tucson Fire would like to share the following safety tips for gas grills:
- Before you light the gas grill, make sure you accurately follow the manufacturer's instructions.
- In order to assure that there are no leaks in the grill, pour soapy water on gas lines and open the lid before you light it up.
- Never place the grill under patios or trees and keep it at least 10-feet away from flammable materials.
- Most importantly, remember to keep young children and animals far from the grill to avoid burn injuries.