Dryer fire kills chihuahua, casues $100K in damage

CREATED Jul. 21, 2011

  • Print

Web Producer: Ina Ronquillo

TUCSON (KGUN9-TV) - Northwest Fire responded to a fire overnight that killed a pet chihuahua and caused $100,000 in damage.

According to Katy Heiden, firefighters were called to a townhome in the 500 block of W. Calle Lago for reports of “smoke in the area.  When firefighters arrived on scene, they discovered light smoke coming from a skylight.

Firefighters made entry into the townhome and discovered thick, black smoke throughout the interior, with flame visible when they entered the laundry room.

No humans were home at the time; however, a Chihuahua did not survive the fire.

Fire investigators have determined the cause of the fire to be the dryer.

Extensive smoke and heat damage resulted in an estimated $100,000 damage.